Tuesday 28 May 2013

Exams are over... And so to work (I hope)

Hey there everybody,
Sorry for not posting. I was a) busy b) stressed and c) tired (Yes, this is a multiple choice, and yes, you may pick more than one answer).

Exams went quite badly. Thankfully, not all of this was my fault. I'll quickly explain the various problems before we digress onto more fun things!

Firstly, the Legal Method exam, 0930 on May 8th. Opening that exam was like receiving a very hard punch to the chest. We were given a case to pre-read (two weeks in advance) and to use in the exam for quotes and such. The exam being split into two parts, the case featured in all questions in part B. The exam's part A was loosely connected to the case. Part A was five 3mk (three mark) questions.

Part B, which we initially could not start, let alone complete, was a 5mk, a 15mk, and two 20mk questions. A small mercy was the fact that the first three questions could be attached to any case as they asked general things such as what the ratio decidendi (reason for deciding) was, but the last question was completely impossible. Imagine trying to climb Ben Nevis or Everest with no previous experience. You have been training for a competition. Your coach sets you cycling challenges. Now you're faced with a mountain instead and nothing you've learnt can help you. That's how that exam felt.

Also, and of no less (possibly of more) importance, we were told we would get extra time as many of us could not do the questions, and about an hour into the two hour exam we were then told there would be no extra time. Fun fun.

This event has completely rocked our confidence in the exams system at our uni. But! Next!

The second exam
This was Tort. It went quite well. I think it could have gone better but then I tend to miss things out when I get nervous.

The third exam
Public Law (formerly Constitutional and Administrative Law) also went pretty well, though I chose three essay questions and therefore sacrificed my hand (poor thing, it was all seized up at the end). What made this exam better was that it was an afternoon exam (excellent as I'm actually fully awake) and that Mario walked around the room for the first three minutes we were being seated. It was great and it really diffused the tension.

The fourth and final exam
I know I didn't do all that well here, on account of being very tired (exams 2, 3 and 4 were on consecutive days) and generally being too nervous again. Which I despise. Hopefully things will go better next year.


But! Until then, I'm updating my CV today and I'm going to try and get a job so that I can earn some money to help pay rent for next year. That's pretty much all I want to do this summer aside from pre-read for next year (the books arrive on June 14th and I'm looking forward to getting started because I'll be really bored otherwise. This year I have four months' holiday and there's not much else to do besides work to help ease off the stress for next year).

Phew!!

Happy reading, folks.

PS any CV tips would be most appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment