Monday 17 October 2011

Feedback is useful!

So on the terrors post below, a commenter told me I'm chatting a great deal of rubbish (I won't quote the actual commenter, you can all go and have a look). It got me thinking, truly. Am I being too harsh on other people? I mean, I only inflict my views on you (not particularly sorry but there's always going to be someone out there who makes me feel a small element of shame for what I once found perfectly reasonable). So, I pose a few questions, and I want genuine answers.

Does it matter if everyone speaks the Queen's English or not? I mean, should it (or can it) be seen as okay to speak using other phrases and words, perhaps created by whatever subculture...? Surely as long as people are still understandable without too much hassle, that's verifiable conversation? Or should society remain as it is, biased towards those who speak a certain way and act a certain way? Should we all be taught a uniform way of speaking, after which we can deviate or use any different dialects as we please?

I do find it confusing to fully work out what some people mean when they say things, sometimes. Should I just be trying harder, or am I perfect;y justified in holding my own opinions? What do you think?

My hope is that Mr. or Mrs. Anonimous from the comment below will see what I mean. If you're not reading this, Mr. or Mrs. Anonimous, then darn it, bloody check this blog! I want to know what you truly think! Let's have a dignified debate. Please. (plz?)

On another note, I STILL haven't finished The Vampire Lestat! It's a good book but hard to get through when there's so much else to do at the same time. Education is taking a priority seat at the moment.

Happy reading (and replying), folks!

2 comments:

  1. I find that there is a very fine line between local dialect and phrases and the like, where it could be considered 'quaint' or pleasant and language that shows a lack of education.
    Swears are an obvious example... (sortof)
    sure, a little swearing can add to talk and chatter, showing heightened emotion and such, or to show a sense of relaxation. However, too much swearing, and in the wrong contexts, can sound course and shows a lack of vocabulary.
    People should be able to speak intelligently, but this does not necessarily mean speaking perfect English ('cause let's face it, only foreigners will actually speak it perfectly, and only if they've learnt from a text book)
    A little bit of variation is pleasant (as I've learnt from being at uni. Recently met a girl who calls people 'babe' regularly. Whilst I would neverever say this myself, it's nice when she does it... it sounds friendly, and not intimidating :3)
    [sorry about the beastly reply by the way...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the reply! Don't worryabout the length of a reply, unless you're getting everything in you're not really representing your view. I can see what you mean about the foreign English speakers; often they are very fine-tuned on grammar as they've learnt from books, not colloquial conversation. Good points, good points! Have fun at uni!

    ReplyDelete