Friday 21 October 2011

Finally!

Well, three things have finally happened in the last week that I have been waiting for/ waiting to do for AGES.

Timesheets
I finally got my timesheets in, so it looks like I might actually get paid. Which is, clearly and obviously, a good thing. Not because I will die without the money; because I have worked a lot of hours and getting nothing for it would suck now. Anyway! It took me an hour to fill them in, you have to be pretty meticulous and quite neat- no mean feat for me on a Friday.

Holidaa-aa-aay
It is FINALLY half term. I expect to see students and children running amok on the streets, going AWOL (although in this case I suppose they DO have leave)... Generally doing crazy stuff. A2 is difficult! We do, contrary to popular belief, study rather a lot of the time. I'm not complaining about the studying, don't get me wrong. But... You know, six or seven weeks in a row feels like a really long time. Too long, almost. It is fun, it is interesting, indeed.I do enjoy it just a little bit (alright, alright, a lot). But it's tiring, truly tiring. I'm tired a lot of the time. Not exhausted, but tired enough to fall asleep in the middle of a class. Oops. And apologies to my friend Aggie, on whom I fell asleep. Sorry!
I plan to do a lot of work this holiday. Yes. And have a lot of fun too. Now I work at the ice rink I don't have to pay for ice time, so it's much easier to practice without running myself into the ground financially, so to speak. I love this. There's a lot more freedom to spend money on other things, like winter clothes (I don't actually own a scarf, hat or gloves, or any warm shoes) and crazy capitalist things such as STARBUCKS EGGNOG LATTES. 'Tis (almost) the season!

Is anybody else getting that Christmas feeling yet? Oh man, I've had it for about a week now. I reckon you might see a post soon about my Christmas wish list (I don't actually ask for all the things on it, nor do I have the space for them, it's just my fantasy presents list, within reason). It's gonna be a bit out there. I already have ideas!

Third "awesome sauce" thing that's happening is that I should be able to start my tutoring of younger pupils soon. We conduct Cognitive ability tests in year seven, and this year quite a few of the younger pupils aren't so hot on their reading skills. Evidently this is a problem for them because it means they'll struggle in their work, so I'm going to go and help them. Our first lesson is going to be a little off-topic, but it's all good, it's just an ice breaker.

I'm going to ask the students three questions. The first is,

"A bat and ball cost £1.10. The bat costs £1 more than the ball. How much does the bat cost?"
I hope they'll find it either a really silly question, or a bit difficult. Bearing in mind, this is a little bit to do with reading, and a little bit to do with logical cognitive thinking. I just want to see how they deal with it. There are other questions and activities I want to set them as well, just to find out how they work things through and how they see tasks. It should prove to be quite interesting, I think, as I have to find out how best to help them and to do that I need to know how each student feels about, and approaches, learning.

Right, lesson plans!

P.S. Congratulate me, I just broke my phone. Wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Except that's not the right numbers. The total is £1.10.

    ReplyDelete