Monday 12 September 2011

Fatal Considerations of the craziest kind

Aside from growing up making the majority of us taller, heavier and in many cases more immature (the gained knowledge can only work to a perverse advantage sometimes), there are other things we adolescents have to deal with. Such as Sod's Law.

This bastard of a concept mjust have been spawned by the devil. Basically, for those of you who do not know, the concept that Sod's Law summarises is "if it can go wrong, it will". So be it that I'm a negative thinker from time to time.

Back in May, we were preparing for our AS exams, perhaps working hard... perhaps hardly working. I joked to some friends that I'd probably mess up for no reason other than sheer bad luck. Well, it just transpired that I was to nearly expire the week before we started examinations. I chucked myself off my bike; onto grass, yes, so perhaps not the worst strategy, but certainly not the wisest. In the fall, I lost my glasses, some of the free movement in my neck, and also a nice purple hoodie I had come to treasure. The paramedics were lovely, though, and friendly. And they didn't slap me when I got all woozy. Anyway, I ended up with a concussion, the repercussions of which were that I had to somewhat re-learn much of my courses. Which would have been wonderful if I had not accidentally forgotten an entire half of the Politics book. I got an E.

Anyway, Sod's Law cropped up again a couple of weekends back when I was going to attend a Law course. Planning to leave the house at five a.m. on Saturday, I did a cursory check of how my laptop was working. I came to a rather downtrodden conclusion that, as it completely failed to start, and then kept coming up with error messages saying FATAL! FATAL!... It wasn't going to work too well. I spent two hours fixing it.

The next morning, my mother and I got on the train. The wrong train. Hence, we missed our train (upside: the one destined for Taunton, and not London, didn't leave with us on it). We got on a half-hour later one. That one left just fine, and arrived just fine. The PreLaw course was good; I got there with time to spare, learnt a lot, and left with interesting information to mull over.

We went for a bit of upmarket banter and had a chat in Harrods. Everything was expensive; but of course, it being London, it was awesome too. Then we went for dinner. Overnight I went from fine to absolutely fucked-up ill. Every couple of hours I would wake up and retch for a bit, and then go back to sleep. The Sunday morning was awful, I was in a terrible mood... The rest of the weekend passed without event, but the night was just crap.

Back to the present, this morning my neck and back were hurting (the result of the bike crash and a couple of car crashes I've had in the past). I left the house quickly, and walked quickly... Obviously I began to overheat a little, due to the heavy bag and the hoodie and coat I had on. I took off the coat and the bag, to put the former in the latter. It was at this point that I realised the bag wasn't my school bag. I had no books. Shit. Almost in tears from the neck pain, now standing halfway between school and home, I thought "fuck it".

Having done this, I went through lessons (only with partial success) and then broke my brace at lunch. My teeth fucking hurt. I'm tired. The two redeeming factors of today were accidentally having spare keys in this wrong bag I took to school... And the book I was given for my birthday, which I am reading at the moment. "The Vampire Lestat". AMAZING book. Anne Rice is a literary goddess and her stories provide me with much time-filling brilliance. Well-plotted, well written, with flair and general awesomeness. I might even start thinking positively!

Happy reading, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment