Thursday 1 September 2011

Time filling

I've taken to time filling. For those of you who don't know (most of you, I guess) I barely passed my Art GCSE. I can't draw observationally. Not well, at least. And I can't imitate other artists' styles, which is what they asked us to do. Don't think I was idiotic to take the course if I so blatently couldn't do all the things we tried to complete for classwork and coursework... I actually signed up for ceramics, but we somehow ended up with the wrong teacher - one who wasn't qualified to let us play with clay, as I so kindly put it. This teacher and I didn't get on at all, to be quite frank. I went to a maximum of thirty percent of those lessons. For most of that thirty percent I messed around. It was great, honestly.

So, to prove to you I can draw (somewhat, they're kind of little designs I do when I'm bored but have paper and the right equipment to hand) I'm going to put up some images of the stuff I did today.




So yes, there you go. The last photo, with the three boxes, has what I call a "feathered" effect. It takes about five minutes to do a box, and they're about three or so centimetres high and a centimetre wide. I love being able to just sit at a blank piece of paper and draw things like this; I'll try and put up more pictures of some of my older work. Today I started using a cotton bud (pic. 1) and very sharp rubber (cut off larger slab, picture 1) to help with blending and precision. They're very useful, though you have to be careful with the amount of graphite you use because it goes REALLY far on the bud! I use one end of the bud to sweep graphite on (so I load it first) and the other to sweep it off (creates a softer, lighter lookk without using the eraser). I had fun.

Happy reading, folks!

P.S. School tomorrow, kind of. We'll be getting our timetables. I hope they're not killers. I shall voice my contentedness (or lack thereof) tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment